Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Interview With A Drifter - Simon Mercer


Who are you, where are you from?
Simon Mercer, from Brisbane, QLD (The drift state!)

What kind of car do you drift with?
I currently am peddaling a 1985 RA65 Toyota Celica, with a twin turbo 1J.

What else, apart from drifting, do you do?
My geeky hobby? Aquariums. Haha, and i ride a bit of BMX.

What is your inspiration for drifting?
The feeling of freedom. And the rush of feeling completely weightless, but to have so much power and energy propelling you at the same time. It keeps me coming back time and time again.

How do you prepare for a drift event?
My car is fairly trouble free, which is great. I just check fluids, get some tyres, patch up any old damage if need be and try to get some sleep.

How expensive is drifting? How do you afford it?
All i do is drift. Im lucky in the fact that great people are supporting my competition endevours this year, but i have always put everything else aside. I would hate to think what it all owes me, but i wouldnt change a thing.

When everyone was out clubbing and buying ipods and jeans, i was slaving away at work. But i never missed an event. I must have 100 armbands in my old bedroom at my folks house!



How many cars have you had?
I have no idea...i would guess at 15 maybe?

Who helps you at drift days?
I have a great crew of mates, and we all help each other out. Its a good circle. Calum, Brad, Jae, Scotty and Alex just to name a few. They are in a way, my inspiration. Drifting would suck without them. To many awesome people to list! Most helpfull of all is my old man, with the little things like late night spanner sessions etc...

What do you think of stadium drift?
I think its great that we are taking our sport across the state, spreading the good word. The crowds love it, the drivers love it, its just a big circle, propelling itself to bigger and better things each time we run.

Where do you see the future of drifting in Australia?
I think we can expect big things from the next pro tour...ive a feeling Ian is just testing the waters this year. I hope it gets alot bigger, but the "grass roots" style of drifting, or lifestyle if you will, will hopefully always be the same.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Hopefully i dont lose my ways! House, lady, company car and filthy beaten drift car sitting in a spotless garage. And a puppy!!!

What got you into drifting?
I was in grade 7, 1999, and my brother Ben bought me a VHS to watch when i was sick. Might have been one of the original HPIs? Watching a japanese dude throw around this little corolla on the streets of japan, clipping a guard rail and not even getting of the gas. I was hooked! That and seeing Josh Youngs pink 86 up close in that same year. I didnt know what i was looking at, but i knew i wanted one!!!

How old are you?
I am 21.5ish

If you could run your own drift series, how would you run it differently?
I think it would be interesting to limit the modifications that drivers are allowed, similar to what is seen in MSC in japan. Whilst the high power, well set up cars can be amazing to watch, close, underpowered drifting would show who has the real nerves and talent!

Whats your dream street car?
I could never have it in Australia, unfortunately the "hoon" culture has destroyed anyones chances of having a tough car on the street. With the police labeling any vehicle thats lowered or has set of wheels a "hoon" car, the stakes are just to high. We are the criminals now, whilst other far more serious crimes will get you a slap on the wrist in some cases. But it would be an RA65 celica, angry 7AGE, quad throttles, insane suspension setup, 15x9 and 11 -30ish SSR reverse mesh. On the deck, dints and scrapes, filthy and noisy. Yum yum! But i will probably buy a JZX90 soon...

Whats your dream drift car?
See above i think...

What was your first car?
I had a lime green 2 door 1975 holden gemini. Race spec 2.3, low, stiff, stripped, locked. My first drift car.

You had to pump the throttle at the lights or it would flood (litterally, fuel would be everywhere!). The holes in the floor scared me. The wheels never matched. But it went sideways and it was mine.

How did you get into drifting?
As i said, seeing that HPI VHS in 1999, seeing Josh Youngs pink 86, and also the articles on the JMS boys in SA from Fast Fours Magazine.

Do you have any regrets?
Selling my gemini... i miss you treefrog!

How do you feel you are competing at this years Stadium Drift?
I think i am holding my own. Most importantly i have learnt and developed my skills alot further white-knuckling it with the big boys then i could have practising on my own. But as long as i dont break anything, or make any silly mistakes, ill be happy!

Who are your crew members?
Calum, Jae, Brad, Alex, Scotty and my old man Malcolm

What will your next drift car be?
Im building a 4AGE KE70 corolla right now for kicks, just a basic beater. Soon i will be making my JZX70 wagon more drift friendly, then later i would like a JZX90. Im a toyota man through and through!

Why the paint scheme?
I didnt want a flashy bright colour (it used to be XR5 orange), i wanted something that would accentuate the natural lines of the car, and make you notice that its a celica, not that its pearl mettalic pink or something! I like it, everyone hates it haha.

What's your daily driver?
Super rare imported toyota GX70 estate wagon, with JZX100 1JZ-GTE, JICs, 33 gtr brakes, Works, Apexi PFC etc etc, Hehe

Where are you based?
Brisbane

How many tyres have you gone through?
Dude...Hundreds. Id hate to think. I always dispose of the the right way though! Dont dump your crap in the bush guys!

What do your friends think of your drifting?
Sometimes they say im insane, or i did something crazy. Which i like because thats what i set out to do. But its more about just drifting with them, not "whos doing what the best", if you know what i mean.

Sometimes they say i fail hard as well! haha.

Do you make money out of drifting?
Nope. I do it for the love of it.

Anyone you would like to thank?
My pit crew, the guys from Kumho Tyres, Hiro Performance.com, Roy at Bosman Wholesale Tyres Archerfield, my parents for allowing me to trash their house with old toyotas and my dad particularly for teaching me about hi tech things like spanners and hammers!

Cheers
Joseph Rigby
0407 782 058

No comments:

Post a Comment