Wednesday, June 9, 2010

8 Ball Aitken




8 Ball Aitken, (born 9th of June 1981) is a former banana picker from northern Queensland turned singer songwriter known for his work in country and blues & roots.
"I call it honk, stomp, Aussie, swamp music. It is a mixture of country, blues & roots. I write all my own original songs." 8 Ball says.

8 Ball got his name from an actual 8 ball landing on stage during in a gig in North Queensland. He was playing in a rough bikie bar and there was a 'disagreement' by the pool table involving two rough and tumblers, which resulted in the 8 ball being flung right onto the stage, where 8 Ball was playing. He feels that fate chose the name for him.
He has used the name ever since.

When asked how long 8 Ball has been playing music, 8 Ball responded "I started playing the guitar at age 13. I played my first gig aged 15." since then, 8ball has released three albums, "Behind The 8 Ball", "Odd Ball In", and more recently his award winning "Rebel With A Cause" - of which he is currently touring around Australia.
He is also well known for founding the Grass Roots Music Festival.

As well as obviously singing and playing the electric guitar, 8 Ball also plays a variety of other instruments, some of these include the acoustic / slide guitar, banjo, mandolin, lap steel, pedal steel, harmonica, didgeridoo and the drums.

When he is not touring, 8 Ball spends time between Brisbane, Tamworth, and Nashville. He uses this time to discuss touring details and to write songs.
8 Ball is touring for 10 months of the year, and has been to over 15 countries, as well as touring every single state and territory in Australia. When asked where he resides, he responded "I say that my home is where I lay my hat"

8 Ball likes to play at festivals, he has played hundreds of them and festivals, in his opinion, are the places that people go to hear new, fresh, independant music. There are more and more festivals and for a low admission it is a fun day for the whole family.

8 Ball has several different influences "I like to go back to the roots of delta blues, bluegrass and country music for inspiration. I also am a fan of the 70's country rock revival. Some of my favourite musicians are: The Allman Brothers Band, Johnny Cash, The Flood, Paul Kelly, Smoky Dawson, J.J Cale, Bob Dylan, Hound Dog Taylor, Elmore James, Magic Sam, Skip James, Son House, Albert King, Freddie King, B.B King, The Grateful Dead, Steve Earle, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, John Fogerty, Tony Joe White, Seasick Steve, R.L Burnside, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Neil Young, Daddy Cool, Buddy Miller."

8 Ball has played along side many well known acts such as Dr Hook, Ross Wilson, Xavier Rudd and has played in the same shows as many famous country and blues artists. "Playing in between Corb Lund and Don MacLean on the main stage at a festival to 10,000 people in the rain in Canada has also been a career highlight."

With regards to writing songs, 8 Ball only writes songs that mean something to him personally. He says "Whether it is a deep feeling or emotion, or something that I might find entertaining, funny or exciting, I think of titles, then I work on the lyrics. Next I will write the tune, then work out the arrangement and demo the song on my home computer."
He then registers the song with the APRA (Australian Performing Rights Association) ands then he will take the song directly to his studio to record it. It can take many years and dollars for the song to be on radio and television but 8 ball has had several hits on both forms of media.

8 Ball has won several awards which include;

Q Song Country Song of the Year
Q Song Blues Song of the Year
Silver Medallion for Touring, Gold Medallion Awards
Rising Star Award (Male), Southern Star Awards
Golden Guitar nomination
APRA Award nomination
Starmaker Grand Finalist (twice)
International Songwriting Competition Grand Finalist

8 Ball has a very busy touring schedule. So far this year he has toured USA, Germany and is currently touring Australia. He has plans to go to North America and Europe soon. He says he basically circumnavigates the globe twice a year, it's his living, and he loves it.

8 Ball gives thanks to "All the people who come out to support live music and my shows. My manager Bird, my band, my sponsors Maton Guitars, Minarik Guitars, Stomperoo Stomp Boxes, Brigalow Clothing and Pure-Tone Strings have all been supportive along with my close friends."

Joseph Rigby
0407 782 058

No comments:

Post a Comment